The Importance of Choosing the Right Batteries
Many portable devices and other household items use lithium-based AAA batteries for power. The single-use batteries with lithium chemistry are designed to deliver a specific electrical charge to the product's circuitry. Lithium-based AAA single-use batteries provide a charge or power to a wide variety of consumer goods.What is the chemistry of a lithium-based battery?
A lithium-based battery is one that uses lithium as the anode. Its ions can be arranged to move between the anode and the cathode for consistent delivery of power to the product. The lithium used in a single-use battery is the lithium-iron disulfide chemistry.What are some of the features of lithium-based AAA batteries?
- Demarated anode and cathode: The anode end of the battery is demarcated with a "-" sign. The cathode end of the battery is demarcated with a "+" symbol.
- Metal housing: The lithium ions are enclosed in a metal housing. When installed, the metal housing connects with the metal fitment of the device for the passing of the electrical ions and delivery of the charge.
- Long shelf life: The stability of the lithium-iron disulfide single cells allows them to have a shelf life of about 15 years.
Many consumer products make use of lithium-based AAA batteries as an energy source. Some everyday household items that require these single-use batteries for energy include television remote controls, clock radios, video game controllers, and digital cameras. Portable electronic devices, video cameras, and garage door openers may also use these AAA batteries.How do you choose the right lithium-based single-use AAA batteries?
- Select a brand: There are many brands of lithium-based, single-use AAA batteries. The available options include Energizer, Panasonic, and PK Cell. There are also unbranded lithium battery options.
- Choose the voltage or energy level: AAA batteries are available in 1.2, 1.5, 3.6, and 9 volts of energy. See the manufacturer site for details.
- Select the color: The exterior housing of the battery comes with a variety of markings and colors. Some of the lithium battery products have a solid color with just the brand's logo. Others have colorful designs. Some of the lithium batteries show their voltage energy on the side of the product. Some have the anode and cathode markings at the end and along the side.
The length of the charge that a lithium-based AAA battery can deliver depends on how it is stored, the temperature the lithium battery is stored at, what type of a device it is used in, and the use patterns. On the shelf, the lithium batteries may hold their power for up to 15 years when stored at temperatures of 60 to 80 degrees Fahrenheit and in 30- to 40-percent humidity. In a wireless video game controller, they may hold a charge for up to 100 hours of play.