What To Look Out for When Purchasing a Laptop or Netbook
Unlike desktops, laptops and netbooks are convenient when you want to do operate your computer from anywhere. Seeing as they are smaller in size, they also fit well in sleeves and bags which greatly enhances portability. When it comes to choosing the specific one that will serve your needs, there are some factors that come into play. Here is some information that should guide you in getting the ideal Asus Windows 8.1 laptop or netbook:
What are the types of Intel Core processors found in PCs?
The processor is the brain of a computer. It executes all the tasks as instructed by the running programs in the PC. The performance of the processor is based on factors such as the number of cores and the clock speed measured in GHz. There are several manufacturers of processors and Intel is one of them. Intel Core processors are split into three main ranges which are the Core i3, Core i5, and Core i7.
- Core i3 - This is the lowest in the range. Models with this processor have dual-core configurations. They are ideal for basic uses such as Microsoft office, video calls, browsing, and social networking.
- Core i5 - The i5 processors perform better than the core i3 processors as they have up to 4 cores. Laptops with this type of core are ideal for mainstream roles.
- Core i7 - The highest in the range is the i7 processor. These have quad-core configurations but you can also find those with 6 and even up to 8 cores in a single processor. Core i7 processor laptops are used for performance roles.
What are SSD and Hard drives in computer storage?
PCs come with two main types of internal drives; the optical drive and the storage drive. The former is used for reading and writing data from and to discs while the latter is used for storing files in the computer. Storage drives come as either solid state drives (SSD) or hard disk drives (HDD):
- SSD - This storage option is faster compared to the hard drives as the device uses flash memory. The drive relies on embedded processors to store the data and has no moving parts. The downside to this storage form is the rarity of drives with high storage capacities. You will mostly find the drives in 128 GB or 256 GB sizes.
- HDD - The drives are generally slower. They use mechanical arms to store data on the rotating platters. The rate at which the platter spins determines the storage speed. The advantage of hard drives is that you can get up to 8 TB storage capacities.
What features should I consider when buying a laptop or netbook?
Besides the type of processors and storage drive, other factors you should consider when getting your Asus laptop or netbook include the following:
- Size and weight - The standard size for laptops range from 14" to 16". If you want something much smaller and lightweight, netbooks or notebooks are great alternatives. You will also find ultraslim laptops that will easily slip into your sleeve or bag.
- Display - This includes the resolution and screen finish. The resolution in a PC is measured in pixels. A full HD resolution measuring 1920 by 1080 pixels offers you plenty of space to line up windows on the screen. For the screen finish, you can choose between matte finished or glossy screens.
- Memory - This is to do with the type of memory, the capacity, and the speed. A common type of RAM is the DDR SRAM. Choose one with a high capacity and speed for proper performance.
- Keyboard type - The two common types of styles that you will find are the island style and the mechanical. The island/chiclet-style keyboards maximize space. They are also easy to clean and maintain. Mechanical keyboards on the hand are more compressed but are more durable due to their sturdy construction.
- Battery life - Consider the rating of the battery in milliamp-hours(mAh) and Watt-hours (Wh) before purchasing the laptop or netbook. The higher the values are for the ratings, the longer the battery life.
- Others - Look out for other things such as the type and number of ports, color, build quality, the OS, and the accessories that come with the laptop.